Accommodation and transport
Venue and map
The conference venue is the Spencer on Byron Hotel (see accommodation details below) in Takapuna, Auckland, and is shown on the map below along with the locations of various accommodation options.
At the Spencer on Byron Hotel, rooms have been reserved for ANZAMP attendees: studio and one-bedroom suites at $185 plus GST and $210 plus GST, respectively, per room per night. To book, please contact Rosie Buckborough (email: email@example.com; phone: + 64 (9) 916 4977) and advise that you are booking to attend the ANZAMP 2018 conference. These rooms will be held at a special rate for a limited time only, so we recommend booking before 15th November.
Further conveniently located accommodation options in Takapuna include:
- The Emerald Inn; bookings can be made online or by phoning +64 (9) 488 3500.
- The Takapuna Motor Lodge, Anzac Court Motel and the Parklane Motor Inn are all located within walking distance to the conference venue.
Alternatively, attendees may choose to stay in Auckland CBD, where there are many accommodation options, and travel to Takapuna (details below) on a daily basis.
For those on a budget:
- During the summer, the University of Auckland offers accommodation at various locations in Auckland CBD. Please see this website for booking details.
- Takapuna Beach Holiday Park offers cabins and camping accommodation options. Bookings can be made online or by phoning +64 (9) 489 7909.
Local restaurant and cafe recommendations (within walking distance of the conference venue)
- Takapuna Beach Cafe Restaurant – European/New Zealand (22 The Promenade)
- Jam Organic Cafe Restaurant – New Zealand/Vegetarian friendly (33-45 Hurstmere Road)
- Thyme Restaurant – European/New Zealand (The Spencer on Byron Hotel)
- Honey Cafe Restaurant – New Zealand/European (12 Huron Street)
- El Humero Restaurant – Latin/Barbecue/South American (40 Hurstmere Road)
- Tokyo Bay Restaurant – Japanese (20 The Strand)
- Al Forno Restaurant – Italian/Mediterranean (34 Anzac Street)
- Cafe Melba Restaurant – European/New Zealand (78/3 Hurstmere Rd)
- Mac’s Brew Bar Restaurant (136 Hurstmere Road)
- Mamak Malaysia Street Food Restaurant – Malaysian/Vegetarian friendly (6 Huron Street)
Auckland airport to Takapuna
- Shuttle services for transport between Auckland airport and Takapuna are available from Super Shuttle and Shore Shuttles.
- Various taxi services are available; for example, Co-op taxis or Cheap Cabs.
Auckland airport to Auckland CBD
- Asides from the above mentioned taxi services, there is a public shuttle bus, SkyBus, which has several stops within the CBD and costs NZ$16 (one way) and NZ$28 (return).
Auckland CBD to Takapuna
- Bus number 875 operates from 17 Albert St in the CBD to 7 Burns Ave, which is a 3 minute walk to the conference venue. The cost is NZ$4.50.
- For further routes, see the Auckland Transport website. Depending on where you begin in the CBD, total journey times will be approximately 30-40 minutes.
We are offering travel grants to help cover the costs of student or early career (up to five years of award of PhD) attendees in presenting their work at ANZAMP 2018. Applicants should be based in Australia or New Zealand, but outside of Auckland. Each awardee will receive NZ$250-400 to be used for any aspect of travel, including but not limited to plane/train tickets, fuel, accommodation, conference fees, etc, as well as for support for caring responsibilities.
These travel grants are offered through the support of NZMS, ANZIAM and Te Pūnaha Matatini. Priority may be given to applicants who are perceived to have restricted opportunities or belong to an underrepresented minority.
Please send your application (approx. 1/2 page), outlining your research and how your attendance benefits your career or aids the completion of your degree, and academic transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org. Early application for this scheme, ideally by 17th December, is encouraged.
Any queries about the application process can be sent to the local organising committee at email@example.com.